SURGICAL TRAINING MISSIONSIn-person training with top US surgeon educators
SURGICAL TRAINING GRANTSOngoing support for community minded, promising young doctors
TELEMEDICINEOngoing consultation, mentoring and monitoring of outcomes
- Select countries with a disproportionate ratio between population and number of surgeons to attend to needs
- Identify local surgeons and local hospital partner
- Ensure appropriate infrastructure
- Select volunteer Mission:Restore team
- Gain commitment of local surgeons
- Gain commitment of local hospital
- Meet with Ministry of Health and complete Memorandum of Understanding
- Develop relationship with key community leaders
- Visiting surgeons train local physicians while performing surgery
- Didactic weekly Skype conferences between Mission: Restore and local surgeons
- Organize fellowship program in US for local surgeons
- Provide training materials for local surgeons
Each program is designed with an understanding of the culture, the healthcare delivery system and the prevailing medical needs of each country.
These cases are then assigned to a Mission: Restore team based on specializations such as: craniosynostosis, large palatal fistulas, large facial tumors, massive facial defects, complex hand trauma, multilevel burn contractures and congenital defects.
A critical component of Mission: Restore’s medical and surgical training program is the use of telemedicine. Mission: Restore volunteer surgeons conduct Skype sessions with our partners. The use of technology enables our team to assist doctors with complex cases in between official Mission: Restore trips.